Withstanding The Pressure Of Temptation

Join us in discussing deliverance and spiritual warfare.

Moderator: Moderator Staff

Pastor QT

Withstanding The Pressure Of Temptation

Post by Pastor QT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Temptation exerts a lot of pressure on you to sin. The enemy uses many ways to try and make you succumb to temptation. Let’s take a look at nine pressure modes that the enemy loves to use against us.

Pressure mode #1: FREQUENCY

Satan doesn’t just attack you once and leave you. He attacks you many times so as to weaken your resolve. After Jesus’ long fast, the evil one attacked him three times. Thereafter the Bible says that he left him until an opportune time; he was coming back for a re-match! It’s one thing to defeat the enemy once, but another ball game altogether to resist him again and again. No matter how many times the enemy hits you on the same spot, stand your ground.

They sent unto me four times after this sort (Nehemiah 6v4)

She spoke to Joseph day by day… (Genesis 39v10)

Pressure mode #2: PEOPLE

People are often used by the enemy against us. Job’s wife pressurized him to curse God and die. Potiphar’s wife seduced Joseph to sleep with her. Peter (or rather a demon in him) tried to convince Jesus to give up the cross. The old serpent does not approach you as an ugly fork-tailed creature; instead he comes to you clothed in human skin. When the enemy uses human beings against you, go beyond the person and address the spirit behind like Jesus did with Peter.

Because I feared the people, I obeyed their voice. (1 Samuel 15v24)

Thou knowest the people, that they are set on mischief. (Exodus 32v22)

The fear of man brings a snare… (Proverbs 29v25)

Pressure mode #3: PRINCIPALITIES

Each region, country, community, neighbourhood or even family is ruled by a particular evil prince or power. This is the simple reason why particular areas or families struggle with particular sins. The prince of the area wields influence in that particular region. Know the dominant spirits in your region and disable them.

The prince of Persia withstood me (Daniel 10v13)

And he besought him much that that he would not send them away out of the country.(Mark 5v10)

Pressure mode #4: REWARDS

One of the main reasons why many believers fall into temptation is that sin always promises immediate rewards. For example cohabitation instantly gives you the benefits of marriage without the commitment of marriage. In an age that gravitates towards immediate gratification, this is a very powerful force. The mirage of sin is that it promises you what it cannot deliver. Always see through the sugar-coated promises of the enemy and refuse his sweet-sounding offers to you.

All these things I will give you, if you fall down and worship me. (Matthew 5v9)

Pressure mode #5: TRIVIALISATION

Demons love to whisper, “Do it, it’s nothing, do it just once.” They make sin look small or of little importance knowing very well that once you start, you are stuck! People who took one little sip of beer are now alcoholics. Someone is a drug addict today because they were convinced to take the first shot. Esau lost his birthright because he despised it. He trivialised it. Sin is a big deal, not trivia or child games. Beware!

Esau despised his birthright. (Genesis 25v34)

Pressure mode #6: PROXIMITY

Proximity is yet another pressure point of temptation. The word means the region close or around a person or thing. A source of temptation can be likened to the epicentre of an earthquake, it shakes everything around it. And so to defeat the temptation you may have to move far from its source. If you were a drunkard avoid drinking spots. If you were prone to gang violence, move away from gangs and so on. Like Joseph of old sometimes the safest way to defeat temptation is to run with your life! Lot pitched his tents near Sodom and the spirit of Sodom eventually sucked him into Sodom.

Lot pitched his tents near Sodom. (Genesis 13v12)

And they took Lot, Abram’s brother’s son, who dwelt in Sodom. (Genesis 14v12)

Pressure mode #7: LUST

The Devil knows you, your background and your weak areas. When he tempts you he does so focusing his attention on your own lusts or area of weakness. He know exactly which button to press, how to press it and when to press it! And when he does it you will feel it my friend. He knows where you are most vulnerable and zeros in on that soft spot thus exerting great pressure. To overcome, you need to need to know your blind spots and fortify them through the word and prayer.

But every man is tempted when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. (James 1v14)

Pressure mode #8: PAST

At salvation, you were saved from many evil things including but not limited to: a particular sin, a certain habit, ungodly relationships, idolatry, occultism etc One favourite pass-time of demons is to trap believers through their ugly past. Old habits often try to resurface as do old ungodly acquaintances. Let bygones be bygones. Don’t allow them to resurrect.

Pressure mode #9: PHYSICAL

When everything fails the enemy resorts to physical pressure so as to push you into sin. Potiphar’s wife physically grabbed Joseph in a diabolic attempt to make him to sleep with her. Your friends may try to drag you to the car so that you can accompany them to the bar or something of that sort. A syringe or beer may be put into your hands. Someone may poke you in the face, itching for a fight. The solution to physical pressure is simple; run! And don’t look back!

And she caught him by his garment, saying, “Lie with me.” (Genesis 39v12)

In sports circles when a team is under intense pressure from the opposition’s attack commentators like to say, “Something must give” or “This defence will be breached soon.” However strong teams don’t give in; instead they absorb the pressure and overcome the opposition by scoring against them in spite of the pressure. You and I are in the winning team. Let’s stand our ground and refuse to succumb to enemy pressure. Having done all things to stand, stand! That way we win in Jesus name!
I love you with bondage-breaking love!

Pastor QT is a published author, missionary and speaker. He is ready to do anything, anytime, anywhere for the sake of Jesus Christ!