Ministering while in sin

Join us in discussing deliverance and spiritual warfare.

Moderator: Moderator Staff

Dcide

Ministering while in sin

Post by Dcide » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:46 pm

I minister with some very gifted women; however, sometimes, these women fall into sexual sin. In the past, I have "grounded" these ministers by not allowing them to minister, just like I was when I was in sexual sin. Unfortunately, the gifts do not turn off when people are in sin (Think Samson)

What are some of the dangers while ministering while in sexual sin?

How long should people take a break from ministering after the sin has been committed?

Please share any scripture that supports that decision. Please share any experiences or dangers of what has happened in the past.

Edit: Many of these women confess the sin, but I still think that there should be some kind of break before engaging in ministry again.

DoorTwelve
Moderator Staff

Post by DoorTwelve » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:16 pm

How long did it take Jesus to forgive the woman caught in the act of adultery?

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 , No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
John 8:10-11 (KJV)

It is apparent that Jesus believes the woman can go and sin no more in this manner otherwise it would be a mute point.

The question isn't how long they should wait because waiting doesn't determine their heart action. The question is have they through repentance recognized their error and have they really had a change of heart in that area and desire to take a stand against that issue and feel about evil the way God feels about it.

13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate
Prov 8:12-13 (KJV)

Feeling this way about evil means it is unacceptable to you,simply unacceptable, meaning you will take a stand first in your mind(heart)
and then in your practices.

Taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ and casting down every vain imagination and high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge and will of God is something a mature Christian will do when faced with the evil nature,and yet those unwilling or unable to do it are more likely to fall into lustful temptation.

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
2 Cor 10:3-6 (KJV)

You see many people fall into sin because they often don't take a stand against it when the tempter appears declaring "it is written..". For example if Jill knows she cannot minister alone because last time she did she fell into sin then she should recognize that this policy or practice is not a good one and say to herself I am not going to jeopardize myself in this manner.

. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen
Matt 6:13 (KJV)

If they fall more than once then accountability says they should refrain until they understand why their falling and making themselves accountable to a larger body of believers where ministry is concerned would probably be best,but falling once is something many of us have done and will do,sometimes the falling is how we learn, the word says "a prudent man fall several times."

Ministry practices are governed by the word of God and whenever a minister writes his church practices and policies down for those who would volunteer and lead in this type of ministry he will include how and when we minister and what the liability of that ministry is to do such things without the proper people and things in place.
In that day they will say, "Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. This is the LORD, we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation."(Isaiah 25:6-9)

DoorTwelve
Moderator Staff

Post by DoorTwelve » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:30 pm

One last thing if they are just continuing in sin in their personal lives and this is the issue you were speaking of then until they refrain from fornication I would expect to withhold ministry duties because there could be stumbling blocks and other things in regards to others that could cause more then themselves to fall in which case it is extreme... because it could place another person in the hands of someone who is unable to govern themselves properly then I would say no.
Doortwelve
:-D
In that day they will say, "Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. This is the LORD, we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation."(Isaiah 25:6-9)

nautical999
Moderator Staff

Post by nautical999 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:42 pm

well put brother. I am in agreement. I have thought for so many years that after a minister falls then there should be a time off. However you are so right. Jesus forgives. And if the heart is right and changed then they should still minister.
I do want to add one thing to this awesome knowledge. A lot of times when a minister falls and God picks him back up he must go through with forgiving himself as well. Sometimes it is that unforgiveness towards ones self that holds them in bondage and will make it where they fall again. As ministers we are held to higher standards by all around us but we must not think that we are held to a different standard when it comes to forgiveness. There is not levels of forgiveness when you go up levels of ministry. Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever. He forgives all of us when we confess our sins and turn from them and ask for His forgiveness. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
A thousand shall fall at my side and Ten thousand by my right hand

turgh

Post by turgh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 pm

I agree that it's about our hearts rather than a set time of being sat down.

Reading an article about a minister (will refer to him as minister A) who went to another minister (he'll be minister B) to be prayed for. Shortly afterwards, minister A began to have sexual thoughts and feelings that he didn't have previously. He returned to minister B and learned that minister B did have sexual problems. As the result of this, minister A spends time with Yahweh prior to ministering to anyone. He repents of anything that Yahweh brings up, etc.

Dcide

Ministry while in sin

Post by Dcide » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:05 am

Thank you for your responses.

Right now, I'm dealing with some members who minister to people and yet insist on sinning(sexually) with Non-Christian men. Even though they know that they're in sin, there is this lax attitude that they have towards the ministry.

I also feel that they open themselves (and the ministry) up to more attack. There can also be some transference of spirits to people that they minister. Since we deal in the supernatural, I think that it is very susceptible to attacks, not to mention the confusion that come in by living a hypocritical life.

The privilege of praying for other people, especially Inner healing, is not to be taken lightly. When God entrusts us with such gifts, they are to be used with fear and trembling. We're also advising people to "go and sin no more," and yet to "cherish sin in our hearts" is stirring up some major strongholds.

Therefore, I've decided to "ground" these women until they are ready to walk away from their sins altogether. Even after they walk away, I feel that there needs to be a "suspension" until they've resolved not to go there again. It's not punishment, but rather probation. When one of the women confessed her sin, I allowed her to minister. However, she backslid two weeks later.

I DO believe in God's grace and forgiveness. However, in God's kingdom, we can't have it both ways.

Thank you for your insights. :)

turgh

Post by turgh » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:22 pm

"transference of spirits" was exactly what I was referring to.

Why leave them (the folks being prayed for) worse off? You do have a responsibility for them as well as the ministry team. Good decision - though usually not easy.

Dcide

Post by Dcide » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Ahhh turgh,

Yes, now the story makes sense. I didn't get it when I read it at first. Sorry.