jealousy

Join us in discussing deliverance and spiritual warfare.

Moderator: Moderator Staff

stillGods

jealousy

Post by stillGods » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:50 am

What do people believe are some ways to deal with/overcome this?
I believe it can be just natural and/or also there is a spirit of jealousy mentioned in the Bible

stillGods

Post by stillGods » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:09 am

i will look somewhere else about this

DoorTwelve
Moderator Staff

Post by DoorTwelve » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:13 pm

The answer to your question is yes there is a spirit of Covetousness or Jealousy when we desire the things that are not truly ours,and do it in ways God never asked us to have them, this is a form of spiritual bondage.
When the word of God tells us to renew our minds daily by living a life sacrificed to God we finally realize that we are in complete submission to God when we have nothing we hold dear over and above him and his word. Nothing is ours that doesn't belong to God first and if it does belong to God then we should treat it with love and compassion which is contrary to jealousy.
Doortwelve :-D
In that day they will say, "Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. This is the LORD, we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation."(Isaiah 25:6-9)

michel67

Post by michel67 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:43 pm

I think everyone goes through the thoughts of jealously from time to time. People are jealous over someone else, what theyre wearing, what they have, how much money they make, the more they have and get the more they want. Coveting is one of the ten commandements that God said to stay away from and not have in our lives. Kids get spoiled with their video games, their clothes they think they have to have and wear to fit in , and adults get spoiled with cars they buy, women with going to the mall and shopping till their broke, just so they can have the same thing they see others have.

I would be content to live in a cabin somewhere, away from everyone, by a lake, without all the comforts of life, electricity, gas, television, phone, microwave,etc. People think they need 500 channels on tv to watch their sports ,, i myself would be content to just sit by a lake , live by the lake, away from the city and all of it without all the luxeries of the world and what everyone has. I think the more we are settled with what God gives us, provides for us, He always provides, maybe its not what we want or when we want or desire but He gives us what we need , we rely on Him rather than wanting or desiring and desiring more. God has always provided for me, maybe not when i want it but His hand is always there ready to provide for us in His time. We are to live by His name, His Word, and His image, and nothing in this life goes to heaven with someone , so do we really need it and need to want and desire it? Probably not. If we keep our eyes, hearts and ears focused on Him, and look to HIm we wont want it or desire it , we desire after HIm and trust HIm for our needs . Everything we own does belong to Him , it isnt ours , or to hold onto and keep. Then jealousy isnt even in our thoughts or minds. Hope it makes sense .

DoorTwelve
Moderator Staff

Post by DoorTwelve » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Michel 67,
O woman of God you are an inspiration in this post,praise God
Keep up the good fight of faith?
Doortwelve
In that day they will say, "Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. This is the LORD, we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation."(Isaiah 25:6-9)

demoncasterouter
Moderator Staff

Post by demoncasterouter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:36 pm

:mrgreen:
"And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." THIS is what I was born to do.

stillGods

Post by stillGods » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:00 am

I do hear what you are saying
being thankful then

easier said than done when you grew up with a beautiful charming sister who everyone loved, all your friends got married and had children and you didnt.. and had other stuff go on that no one knew about but destroyed your sense of self and boundaries.. and yet you still believed God and thanked God for the good things He provided in others lives.. though the figtree does not blossom yet I will praise Him.

all my life I have fought against bitterness and jealousy.. just wondered when it ends..

I am thankful that I know God and have an inheritance in Him
though I have no husband and children .. no earthly legacy and am messed up in some ways so that at times I do have bouts of jealousy when surrounded at church by those who are reaping the blessing of a Godly life (I spent years in ignorance and sin which also wrecked other things before someone was obedient enough to God to tell me the truth) but I am still thankful for my salvation and for God's love

I have no desire for material things those have never really held any real value to me

So I will just keep remembering to be thankful for what I do have as I walk through the years childless and barren and try not to let my pain wreck the friendships I do have with those who God has blessed in this way

easier said than done friends
God's grace is sufficient the Bible says

michel67

Post by michel67 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Godschild

I do understand , and jealousy isnt all about the material things in life.

Im sorry about youre feelings of not having a husbund and children and im sure it makes it hard and makes you feel the jealousy . Like i said, youre not the only one who goes through those thoughts, my mother died when i was 10 years old, it was a trajic sudden death, she was there , then gone, swept away, and i grew up without her, even though living with relatives who took me in as one of their own , i still was jealous of my cousins who had their mother. My father i saw on once in awhile, and yet they had their father also. I still go through bits of jealousy as a adult, knowing my cousins parents are still around, able to see their grandkids, etc. and neither of my parents were there when any of my kids were born and not able to see them. I am jealous of not being able to pick up the phone and call my parents like my husbund can his mother. Ive been letting jealousy in my thoughts lately over people who have a good car, my car is wearing down and brakes are going out and i need to travel yet im trusting God to work things out and i will get where i need to go. Trust Him .

You have to find ways to get around that. Dont let the jealousy and lonliness keep a hold on you, you can do things for others, talk with and go out with godly friends, work in the church nursery. If its Gods time for a godly man to come into youre life God will make it happen, in the mean time rest on God and His Word, trust Him, let His peace fill you up . God does not want you to feel lonely, jealous, it isnt who HE is, He wants you to feel HIs peace, joy, He is there for you where others are not. He will always fill us with what were looking for and desiring in His time, we may not like waiting and we usually want it when we want it but if were patient and wait in Him He wont let you down.
I know its hard not to let jealousy win. People get jealous over many things in life, their too short, too tall, their brother has a bigger house , gets treated better, if we walk with God and keep Him in our daily mind and think like HE thinks and would do we dont need jealousy or to think about it. I know hearing things from someone else who isnt in youre shoes and doesnt live youre life is hard sometimes and it still makes you feel no one understands but i do understand and so does God, He's the only one who needs to understand and to hear you, tell Him about youre feelings and whatyou desire, He will listen and then patiently wait on Him. I know and understand youre desiring a husbund and children, and it sounds like you want it badly and miss that in youre life what others have, but try to strive to live as Jesus lived and keep HIm on youre constant mind and other things will replace the thoughts of jealousy that bring you down. God doesnt want you down with feeling like that all the time.

Godschild

Post by Godschild » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:08 pm

stillGods wrote:I do hear what you are saying
being thankful then

easier said than done when you grew up with a beautiful charming sister who everyone loved, all your friends got married and had children and you didnt.. and had other stuff go on that no one knew about but destroyed your sense of self and boundaries.. and yet you still believed God and thanked God for the good things He provided in others lives.. though the figtree does not blossom yet I will praise Him.

all my life I have fought against bitterness and jealousy.. just wondered when it ends..

I am thankful that I know God and have an inheritance in Him
though I have no husband and children .. no earthly legacy and am messed up in some ways so that at times I do have bouts of jealousy when surrounded at church by those who are reaping the blessing of a Godly life (I spent years in ignorance and sin which also wrecked other things before someone was obedient enough to God to tell me the truth) but I am still thankful for my salvation and for God's love

I have no desire for material things those have never really held any real value to me

So I will just keep remembering to be thankful for what I do have as I walk through the years childless and barren and try not to let my pain wreck the friendships I do have with those who God has blessed in this way

easier said than done friends
God's grace is sufficient the Bible says
I do understand. But when we realize the truth of what Scripture teaches us in 1 Peter 3:12-14:

"Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; 13 but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy. 14 If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified."

There are a couple things I wish to point out in these verses. First of all, when Peter wrote these words he was writing to the church and that means all of us. So I want you to realize that you are not alone in your suffering. As an African American woman I have ~at times, been guilty of thinking that most White American folks are far, far better off than I am and have often had to fight off the resentment that comes with thinking this way. But then, one day, I was talking to one of my good friends who happens to be White and as we were talking I learned that she experiences many, many of the same feelings and inner struggles as I do. There is another woman ~who is also white~ who appears to be blessed beyond measure. Beauty, brains, perfect husband, two glorious children ~one girl, one boy. Home, land, cars, etc. She is also spiritually very well equipped and a very strong woman of God who also happens to be a pastor. What's not to love? Right? But then one day I learned that she too suffers.

If we are children of The Living God, living cleansed by the Blood of Jesus Christ, our Saviour we are going to suffer in this world. Jesus Himself said that in this world we would have tribulation. He said that the world hated Him and so the world would surely hate us because we love Him and we are of Him.

I say to you Rejoice! Rejoice, little sister. Rejoice in your tears. Take your cares, your hurts, your resentments and give them all to God casting the whole of your care upon Him because He cares so fully and completely for you.

Know that you are not alone in your suffering. The enemy wants you to think that you are not as good as someone else, or that others are better than you. He wants you to grumble and complain and be angry and full of resentment because then you won't seek His glory but instead will seek to fulfill the things of the flesh.

Rejoice in the knowledge that as you suffer you are partaking of the sufferings of Christ and so you are blessed.

In His Love,
Godschild
GOD IS limited only by those limitations which we, as human beings, place upon Him. GOD, HIS POWER, His love, and His forgiveness are limitless.
~Man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

michel67

Post by michel67 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:36 pm

[

Im sorry about youre feelings of not having a husbund and children and im sure it makes it hard and makes you feel the jealousy . Like i said, youre not the only one who goes through those thoughts, my mother died when i was 10 years old, it was a trajic sudden death, she was there , then gone, swept away, and i grew up without her, even though living with relatives who took me in as one of their own , i still was jealous of my cousins who had their mother. My father i saw on once in awhile, and yet they had their father also. I still go through bits of jealousy as a adult, knowing my cousins parents are still around, able to see their grandkids, etc. and neither of my parents were there when any of my kids were born and not able to see them. I am jealous of not being able to pick up the phone and call my parents like my husbund can his mother. Ive been letting jealousy in my thoughts lately over people who have a good car, my car is wearing down and brakes are going out and i need to travel yet im trusting God to work things out and i will get where i need to go. Trust Him .

You have to find ways to get around that. Dont let the jealousy and lonliness keep a hold on you, you can do things for others, talk with and go out with godly friends, work in the church nursery. If its Gods time for a godly man to come into youre life God will make it happen, in the mean time rest on God and His Word, trust Him, let His peace fill you up . God does not want you to feel lonely, jealous, it isnt who HE is, He wants you to feel HIs peace, joy, He is there for you where others are not. He will always fill us with what were looking for and desiring in His time, we may not like waiting and we usually want it when we want it but if were patient and wait in Him He wont let you down.
I know its hard not to let jealousy win. People get jealous over many things in life, their too short, too tall, their brother has a bigger house , gets treated better, if we walk with God and keep Him in our daily mind and think like HE thinks and would do we dont need jealousy or to think about it. I know hearing things from someone else who isnt in youre shoes and doesnt live youre life is hard sometimes and it still makes you feel no one understands but i do understand and so does God, He's the only one who needs to understand and to hear you, tell Him about youre feelings and whatyou desire, He will listen and then patiently wait on Him. I know and understand youre desiring a husbund and children, and it sounds like you want it badly and miss that in youre life what others have, but try to strive to live as Jesus lived and keep HIm on youre constant mind and other things will replace the thoughts of jealousy that bring you down. God doesnt want you down with feeling like that all the time.[/quote]

stillGods

Post by stillGods » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 am

Godschild wrote:
I do understand. But when we realize the truth of what Scripture teaches us in 1 Peter 3:12-14:

"Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; 13 but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy. 14 If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified."

There are a couple things I wish to point out in these verses. First of all, when Peter wrote these words he was writing to the church and that means all of us. So I want you to realize that you are not alone in your suffering. As an African American woman I have ~at times, been guilty of thinking that most White American folks are far, far better off than I am and have often had to fight off the resentment that comes with thinking this way. But then, one day, I was talking to one of my good friends who happens to be White and as we were talking I learned that she experiences many, many of the same feelings and inner struggles as I do. There is another woman ~who is also white~ who appears to be blessed beyond measure. Beauty, brains, perfect husband, two glorious children ~one girl, one boy. Home, land, cars, etc. She is also spiritually very well equipped and a very strong woman of God who also happens to be a pastor. What's not to love? Right? But then one day I learned that she too suffers.

If we are children of The Living God, living cleansed by the Blood of Jesus Christ, our Saviour we are going to suffer in this world. Jesus Himself said that in this world we would have tribulation. He said that the world hated Him and so the world would surely hate us because we love Him and we are of Him.

I say to you Rejoice! Rejoice, little sister. Rejoice in your tears. Take your cares, your hurts, your resentments and give them all to God casting the whole of your care upon Him because He cares so fully and completely for you.

Know that you are not alone in your suffering. The enemy wants you to think that you are not as good as someone else, or that others are better than you. He wants you to grumble and complain and be angry and full of resentment because then you won't seek His glory but instead will seek to fulfill the things of the flesh.

Rejoice in the knowledge that as you suffer you are partaking of the sufferings of Christ and so you are blessed.

In His Love,
Godschild
Thanks Godschild for the verses and encouragement from those.
It is a trial I have had for many many years and do not see ending so that it does threaten to overwhelm me at times hence my post here in one of those low moments. Thanks for sharing some of your experience and encouragement that am not alone either and to rejoice - practical advice thank you, God bless

stillGods

Post by stillGods » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 am

michel67 wrote:[

I know its hard not to let jealousy win. People get jealous over many things in life, their too short, too tall, their brother has a bigger house , gets treated better, if we walk with God and keep Him in our daily mind and think like HE thinks and would do we dont need jealousy or to think about it. I know hearing things from someone else who isnt in youre shoes and doesnt live youre life is hard sometimes and it still makes you feel no one understands but i do understand and so does God, He's the only one who needs to understand and to hear you, tell Him about youre feelings and whatyou desire, He will listen and then patiently wait on Him. I know and understand youre desiring a husbund and children, and it sounds like you want it badly and miss that in youre life what others have, but try to strive to live as Jesus lived and keep HIm on youre constant mind and other things will replace the thoughts of jealousy that bring you down. God doesnt want you down with feeling like that all the time.
thanks for sharing your thoughts
just a little note.. working in the church nursery would be one of the most painful things to do..
.. thanks though

Godschild

Post by Godschild » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:15 pm

stillGods wrote:Thanks Godschild for the verses and encouragement from those.
It is a trial I have had for many many years and do not see ending so that it does threaten to overwhelm me at times...
Dear stillGods:

I just want to remind you that when we believe those things that Satan shows us over what God says about us, who we are, and our lives we are allowing strongholds to be set up in our lives. Remember that strongholds are wrong thought processes and belief systems. Sometimes the enemy is very, very subtle and so certain things at times will appear to be very, very real and will appear to make absolute sense.

Proverbs 3:5 teaches us this:

"Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding." (AMP)

And in Mark 11:22 Jesus tells us to "Have faith in God [constantly]."

So basically what has to happen is that we have to suspend all "rational" thought, refuse to look at the circumstances. As human beings we also tend to rationalize things. When you break down that word it is this: rational lies. There is no place for rational lies in God's Word or in His children. If what seems rational to you does not line up with God's Word then it is a rational sounding lie. A neat trick of the devil. We have to refuse to believe what we think we are hearing and seeing, dig into God's Word, learn who we are in Him, learn what His promises are to us, learn to see ourselves through His eyes and believe, lean on, trust in and have faith in Him and His Word alone. After all, Scripture teaches us that God is not a man that He should lie, neither is He a son of man that He should promise and repent of his promises (or promise and not fulfill).

If a husband and children is what you want, ask God and find the promise in Scripture that supports your request and stand on it. He tells us in 1 John 5:14-15 that the confidence we can have in Him is that when we pray He hears us, and if we know He hears us then we will receive whatever we request of Him. Take God at His word. Trust Him and believe.

In His Love,
Godschild :wave:
GOD IS limited only by those limitations which we, as human beings, place upon Him. GOD, HIS POWER, His love, and His forgiveness are limitless.
~Man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

stillGods

Post by stillGods » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:05 am

Godschild wrote:
stillGods wrote:Thanks Godschild for the verses and encouragement from those.
It is a trial I have had for many many years and do not see ending so that it does threaten to overwhelm me at times...
Dear stillGods:

I just want to remind you that when we believe those things that Satan shows us over what God says about us, who we are, and our lives we are allowing strongholds to be set up in our lives. Remember that strongholds are wrong thought processes and belief systems. Sometimes the enemy is very, very subtle and so certain things at times will appear to be very, very real and will appear to make absolute sense.

Proverbs 3:5 teaches us this:

"Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding." (AMP)

And in Mark 11:22 Jesus tells us to "Have faith in God [constantly]."

So basically what has to happen is that we have to suspend all "rational" thought, refuse to look at the circumstances. As human beings we also tend to rationalize things. When you break down that word it is this: rational lies. There is no place for rational lies in God's Word or in His children. If what seems rational to you does not line up with God's Word then it is a rational sounding lie. A neat trick of the devil. We have to refuse to believe what we think we are hearing and seeing, dig into God's Word, learn who we are in Him, learn what His promises are to us, learn to see ourselves through His eyes and believe, lean on, trust in and have faith in Him and His Word alone. After all, Scripture teaches us that God is not a man that He should lie, neither is He a son of man that He should promise and repent of his promises (or promise and not fulfill).

If a husband and children is what you want, ask God and find the promise in Scripture that supports your request and stand on it. He tells us in 1 John 5:14-15 that the confidence we can have in Him is that when we pray He hears us, and if we know He hears us then we will receive whatever we request of Him. Take God at His word. Trust Him and believe.

In His Love,
Godschild :wave:
thanks, I do agree with your reply, it is hard to see the lies we ourselves are believing until they are pointed out sometimes as to how they differ with Gods Word
re: the bolded part of your reply...there is no promise regarding this that I know of so bit tricky to take to God but will think on that, thank you